HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MATTRESS IN GOOD CONDITION?
You can keep your mattress-box spring set in good condition by following these recommendations:
- Ask your retailer some suggestions to properly install your mattress at home. An inappropriate installation can cause some damages to your new mattress-box spring set.
- Some new mattresses will need to be rotated and turned upside down every 2 to 3 weeks to smooth out the contours. After few months, some kinds will still need to be rotated and turned upside down twice a year to get balanced normal wear. Not all types of mattresses require this approach. In any case, check with your retailer to find out about the special features of your mattress. In addition, it is advisable to examine your mattress for signs of wear. This might tell you it's time to replace it.
- Do not use "only" the rotation handles to support the full weight of a mattress. These handles have been designed to help position the mattresses on their box spring. If used incorrectly, the handles may come loose and damage the fabric of your mattress.
- The only recommended way to clean your mattress is the vacuum cleaner. A quality washable mattress cover will protect your set from stains. In case of dirt, use a mild soap with a little cold water and rub gently, directly on the stain. At all times, it is advisable to keep your mattress and box spring free of moisture.
HOW TO GET RID OF AN OLD MATTRESS?
When you buy a new set, it is possible to ask the retailer to take back your old mattress. You simply have to ask him.
The use of an old mattress in a child’s bedroom or in the guest bedroom is not recommended. A mattress that no longer satisfies your own needs for comfort and support will not be adequate for your children or guests.
NEED A NEW MATTRESS?
If you keep turning and turning in your bed, night after night, and your sleep keeps staying at the early stage, you should consider the possibility that your mattress and box spring deprive you of an essential rest. It is time to consider buying a new mattress. Too often, people are not aware of the wear and tear of their mattress until their bodies start feelling it. The ‘Better Sleep Council Assocation’ recommends the evaluation of comfort and support of your mattress twice a year.
WHEN THE PURCHASE OF A NEW MATTRESS BECOMES IMPERATIVE?
- When life styles are changing: The changes in your life, like a moving or a marriage can justify the need of a new mattress.
- When your body changes: As we get older, our body is going through many changes. What was comfortable and was offering a good support when we were 25 years old may be not satisfactory when we reach 35-45 years old. The space for a six-year-old is no longer appropriate for a 16-year-old.
- Make sure that your mattress and the one of your children offer enough comfort, support and space during the years.
- When preferences in matter of comfort change: With time, our tastes can change. Make sure that your mattress-box spring set is still corresponding to your preferences in comfort and to the ones of your partner.
WHICH ELEMENTS WILL HAVE AN INFLUENCE ON THE LIFE SPAN OF YOUR MATTRESS?
- The quality: A low quality mattress-box spring set will deteriorate rapidly, while a high quality set will offer good comfort and proper support for many years.
- The use: A mattress-box spring set that is used night after night will loose it's comfort and support much more faster than the one use occasionally (i.e. Master bedroom vs guest room)
- The maintenance: Proper care can extend the life of a mattress. (See maintenance recommendations for your mattress)
RECENTLY, WHERE HAVE YOU REACHED THE BEST NIGHT OF SLEEP?
Maybe it was in a hotel or at a friend’s house. Most of the time, the answer is somewhere other than your home. In reality, you should be able to enjoy the best night’s sleep every night on your own mattress. The degree of comfort of a mattress is a matter of personal preference. To find the mattress that’s right for you, go to your local dealer and compare the comfort and support of new mattresses in-store with the degree of your old mattress-box spring set. Try several models.
WHAT MAKES A MATTRESS?
A mattress is made of 3 basic elements.
- The box spring: The box spring acts as a powerful shock absorber, absorbing the wear caused by regular use. The box spring provides additional support, durability and also flexibility (in the case of an electric bed).
- The heart of a mattress: The constitution of the central part of the mattress varies according to the type of mattress. However, whether the latter is made of springs, foam or water, the central part of the mattress provides support to the user.
- The padding layers: The layers of padding envelop the central portion of the mattress thus providing excellent surface comfort. A wide range of foams and fibers are used to enhance cushioning properties and enhance the comfort a mattress needs to provide.
IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE GOOD MATTRESS?
The answer to this question is with no doubt positive. In your house, no other furniture is has used and has has much importance for your rest than the mattress. This is why it is essential to find the mattress that will better suit your needs. In order to prepare yourself adequately for the purchase of a new mattress, you can take inspiration from the essential information about mattresses contained on this site.
WHAT IS COMFORT?
Contrary to popular belief, mattresses do not need to be firm like a “wooden board” to be good for you. Today, mattresses are made with quality new materials. Significant improvements have been made in recent years in the layers of padding and covering fabric, creating a softer touch. So, a soft mattress can still give your body the comfort it deserves, as it is the middle part of the mattress that provides support.
WHAT MEANS LIFE SPAN AND GUARANTEE?
Life span refers to the number of years your mattress will provide support and comfort. Just like any other product, the mattress and box spring experience gradual wear. Eventually, a set will not offer the same support, nor the same comfort as when it was new. That’s why you should re-evaluate your mattress and box spring twice a year. As for the mattress guarantee, do not just rely on it to determine the life of your mattress or your box spring. This warranty protects you against defects and manufacturing errors. It does not apply to the normal wear and tear of the material which can affect comfort and support in the long run.
IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A GOOD SUPPORT?
The answer is definitive: yes. A good mattress and box spring will support all parts of your body and keep your spine in the same position as when you are standing. When selecting a mattress, keep in mind that your body should be able to relax. A mattress with a good support should support the spine while respecting its natural curve. If not, your muscles will be tight and you will feel sore and stiff when you wake up.
WHAT IS GOOD TO KNOW ABOUT MATTRESS-BOX SPRING SET?
The mattress and box spring are designed to work together. Laying a mattress that does not match the box spring, putting a new mattress on an old box spring, or inserting a board between a new mattress and an old box spring can hamper comfort and reduce the life of your mattress.
Furthermore, technological advances have made today’s mattresses and box spring very different from those made just 10 years ago. Research and development of the industry improved the concept of mattresses and box spring to reach maximum comfort and support. A new mattress-box spring set made following those progress can bring you the most wonderful nights of sleep.
IS IT RECOMMENDED TO INVEST MORE FOR A MATTRESS?
Definitely. When you shop, look for the best value and not for the lowest price. It will become a good investment for your quality of life. Buy products made exclusively with quality new materials.
HOW TO PREVENT FIRES?
First, keep matches and lighters away from children. Children, mattresses and matches don’t do good together. Also, you must keep away cigars and cigarettes from the bedroom.
It only takes a second of distraction or a growing fatigue to start a fire. Also, don’t cumulate old mattresses in the house, in the garage, in the basement or in the attic. This could be dangerous in case of a fire.
WHICH MATTRESS SIZE SHOULD WE GO FOR?
Choose a mattress big enough for you to move easily, especially if you don’t sleep alone. Couples should go for a Queen size (60″) or even a King size (78″) mattress, in order to have necessary space for the comfort for both users.
IS THERE OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING?
A mattress made of new components is better for your sleep and your health. There is on the market mattresses made of used components. However, you can make sure that your set is made from new materials by simply verifying the manufacturing specifications of your state or country. The Canadian regulations are requesting from all manufacturers to have a tag mentioning that only new materials is used.
WHAT IS THE UTILITY OF SPRINGS?
The springs offers support to the mattress and add comfort. The number of springs in a mattress, their concentration as well as the type will determine the type of support of the metal structure.
WHAT KIND OF STRUCTURE IS REQUIRED?
Your bed structure must be strong and durable. It must properly support the weight of your mattress without any difficulties, along with the weight of the people that will sleep on it. As far as Queen and King sizes mattress-box spring sets, a special attention must be given to the structure of the central support.
HOW THE MATTRESS WILL FIT YOUR BODY?
Different kinds of comfort layers are used in the conception of mattresses. Over time, the components forming these different comfort layers will sink and compress proportionally to the weight and shape of the body of the user.
However, it should be noted that the depression or compression of said layers do not constitute a manufacturing defect. It is rather an indication that the mattress fits your body. A “body impression” is therefore considered normal.